Wednesday 23 March 2022

New year, new studio, new prints, new events...

Hi there

So far 2022 has been a pretty productive year. I've now properly moved into my new screen-print studio (delayed a little by waiting for some equipment to arrive). But I'm in there now, probably 50/50 with my linocut studio, and I'm getting new prints done that I've had planned for a while! It feels very liberating to be able to screen-print whenever I want to.


NEW PRINTS


Crow No.2

This is the second edition I created of this print. The first was a really big 76x56cm print, in a tiny edition, and it sold out quickly. 

This time I have created it as an A3 size print, in a bigger edition of 50, in slightly different colours (black and dark blue). It is a linocut which I then transferred to a silkscreen to print the edition, as I do for many of my prints.

Its in my Folksy shop now.












Happenings In Donkey World No.9















I had so much fun playing with colour on my previous two 'Happenings' prints that I wanted to create another! It is an A3 size screen-print, using three transparent inks (yellow, pink and blue) which, when overlaid, create another series of colours. The print is in an edition of 40, and is in my Folksy shop now. 



Mevagissey, Cornwall

I went to the south coast of Cornwall on holiday last year (I seem to go every year!), and visited this place for the first time. Straight away I realised I needed to make a print! The jumble of houses on the steep harbour incline, the boats, the clouds all add up for me. The linocut.screenprint is A3 size and in an edition of 60.

It is in my Folksy shop now. 













Watson

Watson is our new cat. Sadly Otto died in 2021 (he was 18), and it wasn't the same having a home with no cat. So we got him from the RSPCA later in the year, and he very quickly became a member of our family!

I'm sure I will probably create many prints of him, but with this one I just wanted to capture his bliss in sleeping, and also his lovely stripey tabby coat.

The print is a linocut/screen-print, in three colours and in an edition of 50. It is now in my Folksy shop.









The Donkey Clouds















This was a print that I started last September, as I had planned to create it whilst demo-ing at The Craft Festival at Bovey Tracey. As it happened, I only had enough time to create another print while I was there ('The Donkey Garden'), so this one sat on the to-do pile until early 2022. I got there in the end and created an A4 size lino/screenprint in dark blue, edition of 40 (also a tiny edition of 5 on black paper too!). Yet more strange donkey dreams... It is now in my Folksy shop.


EVENTS

I'm itching to get out again to art/craft/print events! Here is what I have, so far, coming up until June 2022.























Printed Bound

2nd/3rd April 2022, Sunny Bank Mills, Farsley, Pudsey, West Yorkshire, LS28 5UJ

This is a brand new event, focussing on artist's books and printmaking. The line-up looks great, and the venue is too, a fantastic creative space just outside the centre of Leeds.


Printfest

30th April/1st May 2022, The Coro, County Square, Ulverston LA12 7LZ

Printfest returns at last! The mother of all UK print events returns, and I'm thrilled to be taking part. It takes place in Ulverston in the Lake District, at a lovely arts and entertainment hall called The Coro.


Endless Love Creative

7th May 2022, The Workstation, 15 Paternoster Row, Sheffield City Centre, Sheffield S1 2BX

These events have been going on for a while now, but I did my first one last year, and was mightily impressed. There was a great buzz, and it was really well curated too. Expect lots of contemporary art and craft.


Manchester Print Fair

14th May 2022, Manchester Cathedral, Victoria St, Manchester M3 1SX

Again another long awaited event returns! MPF is always a great event, with all sorts of contemporary and traditional printmaking, right in the centre of Manchester.


The Craft Festival at Bovey Tracey

17th/18th/19th June 2022, 1 Southbrook Ln, Bovey Tracey, Newton Abbot TQ13 9NB

Bovey returned after the break last September, but it is back again at its more familiar time of year. This is probably the biggest and best craft event in the UK. It is really like a super-cool music festival, but with the focus instead on art and craft. There are loads of demonstrations, 120 makers (!), food, music, films and all sorts of other activities. It takes place in a small village in Devon, and is definitely worth the trip!


That is about it for my blog update this time. I'm not running any workshops currently, but will post up on my facebook/instagram/newsletter as soon as that situation changes.


Cheers


James


No comments:

Post a Comment