Friday 18 June 2021

JG vs The Stitch Society!

 Yes, it is war! Not really, I'm simply trying to humorously trying to introduce my latest collaborative project. Sorry...

A few months ago I got talking with my friends Ben from The Owlery and Charlotte from The Stitch Society about doing some kind of textile collaboration. I have done a couple of textile projects before (designing fabric for baby carriers for Sleepy Nico, and t-shirts for Hunk Print), but I was hungry for more!

The Stitch Society produce artisan workwear, bags, masks, aprons, smocks and all sorts of lovely garments. Their pieces are really well designed and are clearly not just 'workwear'!

They both encouraged me to go for it and before too long I had designed a repeat pattern that could be used on fabric. I wanted to create two different garments, both workwear, but perhaps one that could also be used in a non-work setting too, so a smock and an apron were settled on!

At the same time, I had applied for a grant from the Freelance Fund in Sheffield, who were offering small grants to creatives in the city for new projects. I proposed this textile project, and at a scale where it would be more than just a 'try out'. A month or so later I found out that I had been successful, so the sewing machines could start revving up!

I created a repeat pattern based on my donkey theme called 'The Donkey Woods'. This took some time! I'm not going to explain here how you create a repeat pattern, but it isn't easy, especially working with lino. So, once the design was complete, I had the fabric manufactured (255gsm cotton drill fabric) and took it along to Charlotte's fantastic studio, which is in Salts Mill in Saltaire, West Yorkshire (also home to a Hockney Gallery and the best book shop in the world). I then let the Stitch Society weave their magic and the smock and apron appeared!


So, here is 'Donkey Woods' smock, available in small/medium and large (exact sizes on the Folksy page). It costs £70, plus £5 p&p. All are made to order, so will take 14 days  from order to delivery.


and the 'Donkey Woods' apronavailable in one size that fits sizes 10 to 16 (due to the flexible cross-over strap design). It costs £65, plus £5 p&p. All are made to order, so will take 14 days  from order to delivery.





Oh, finally, I have created an A3 poster-print version of the design, in case anyone likes the image but workwear isn't their thing.



Thanks to Sheffield Council and the Freelance Fund for helping me make this happen, and to Charlotte and the TSS team for working with me, to Ben for his encouragement, and Gem for being my model!




1 comment:

  1. Hi, was wondering around YouTube world looking at various lino print videos and saw one you did for Sheffield museum (?). Thought I recognized you so found this blog. I always want to know what goes on for Landscape Artist of the Year folk. So good to see all your beautiful work. I'm trying some lino as I find the whole exercise very contemplative and pleasing. No aspirations other than making. Thanks for sharing your work and process so generously.

    ReplyDelete