Thursday 18 March 2021

Psychedelic donkeys, and some housemartins too..

Hi there

My blog posts don't seem to be getting more frequent, however much I tell myself and they should be. Perhaps I should just accept that I'm a '4 times a year' kind of blogger, and stop fretting?!

I hope you're all well. Print world is going ok. It is as unpredictable as ever, but I'm feeling good about making new work, and hopeful that things can get back to some kind of normal in the second half of this year. Some events are lined up to be happening, but I'll post about them a bit nearer the time.

I had a bit of a creative block at the beginning of the year, but that has thankfully dissipated and I have new prints to show you!


NEW PRINTS

Happenings in Donkey World No.6



Happenings in Donkey World No.7



I will explain about these two prints together, as they are in some way, linked. Neither of these prints was really planned. I was just drawing away in my sketchbook one minute, and next I'm at the vacuum bed, squeegee in hand! Well, obviously I had to think about the layers and colours, but they all just came together so quickly. I've never worked in bright colours before, and wanted to experiment with colour transparencies. There is something quite magical about creating colours from overlaying other colours, and often with screenprinting, you never know exactly the colours you are going to get! So HDW No.6 came along first, as a 3-colour print (with all the overlays actually creating seven colours!). It is an A2 size print, in an edition of 30. I had so much fun creating this one, that I decided to create a smaller accompanying print HDW No.7. The same colour scheme, just a smaller and more concise landscape, in an edition of 35. 

I think maybe the choice of bright colours was due to the slight hope and optimism in the air with the Covid situation and the news of vaccinations and lowering infection rates.

Both are in my Folksy shop.


Housemartins


Following on from my Swallows and Swifts prints, it would have felt rude not to include the housemartins too! They were also one of my favourite bands of the 1980's too, so it all worked out ok. Beautiful birds. It is a linocut poster-print, A3 size, and in my Folksy shop.


Magic Donkey No.3



Yes, the donkey magic rolls on. As you may know, on the donkey adventures, they are helped occasionally by some mysterious hands. Well, in this print, one lone donkey has stumbled across a whole load of them, all ready and eager to help. The print is an A4 size two-colour screenprint, printed on lovely Antique White Seawhite paper, in two versions, each in an edition of 17. They are available in my Folksy shop.

However there are actually fewer of the red/blue ones available, as I've entered the print into the latest Imprinted Instagram print swap (@im_printed). The theme is 'circle', so this seemed pretty apt! The idea is that you give ten of your prints, and in return you get a print from ten other artists on the same theme. no idea what I will receive in return, but I like a surprise.



No comments:

Post a Comment